Sweet and spicy, this Turkey Cran Rye Sandwich will help you transition from spooky season to turkey season! This sandwich features a powerful horseradish mayo that brings the heat and balances out the sweetness of the cranberry sauce. After this recipe, you’ll want to top everything with horseradish mayo. Grab some deli meat or bookmark this one for when those holiday turkey leftovers are abundant.
The grocery list.
- Mayonnaise – Mayo is the base for this Horseradish Mayo, believe it or not!
- Horseradish sauce – Horseradish adds a strong, almost spicy kick to this Turkey Cran Rye Sandwich.
- Good quality ketchup – I’m picky about my ketchup, and a good quality ketchup will make all the difference in this horseradish mayo.
- Paprika – To boost that awesome kick!
- Kosher salt – Just a pinch!
- Dried oregano – Oregano is an herb that is most flavorful when dried.
- Black pepper – Again, just a pinch!
- Cayenne pepper – As if the horseradish didn’t add enough of a kick, the cayenne pepper adds some spice. You don’t need much!
- Rye bread – Sour and sharp in flavor, rye is such an underrated bread, in my opinion. Some think of the bread as just a vessel for the sandwich, but I think the bread is what will make or break your sammy. Buy some fresh rye or try baking it yourself!
- Cranberry sauce – The cranberry sauce is a sharp contrast to the horseradish mayo, but they work together! It’s delicious and tart in this Turkey Cran Rye Sandwich. I like the canned stuff, it’s easy to spread onto the toasted rye.
- Sliced deli turkey – I like to get thickly sliced turkey and add a hefty layer to my sandwiches.
- Muenster cheese – More of a mellow cheese, muenster is perfect for this recipe.
- Heirloom tomato – As heirloom tomato season is coming to an end, I’ll be eating them with absolutely everything! They’re so juicy and add a delicious fresh texture to this sandwich.
- Alfalfa sprouts – One of my favorite ways to add a little green to a sandwich, alfalfa sprouts add a little crunch and a subtle nuttiness.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the horseradish mayo. Cover and chill until ready to use.
To assemble the sandwich, smear one side of the toasted rye bread with the horseradish mayo and the other slice with cranberry sauce. Lay slices of turkey on top of the cranberry sauced slice of bread. Then add the cheese, tomato and alfalfa sprouts. Top the sandwich with the horseradish mayo slice of bread, cut in half and serve.
The beauty of Thanksgiving leftovers.
Now that we’re fully immersed in fall here in New England, I’m starting to get pumped up for Thanksgiving. This sandwich was born out of my craving for Thanksgiving leftovers, which I think are better than the holiday feast itself.
There’s something about using leftover rolls, turkey and cranberry sauce to make a sandwich that just emanates extreme coziness and comfort. Follow that with a heaping slice of pie and it’s absolutely unrivaled.
This Turkey Cran Rye Sandwich is a twist on that lovely Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich to help you pregame for the best holiday, the one that’s all about eating (and being Thankful for all the good eats)!
Looking for more sandwich recipes?
Sourdough Sprout Chicken Sandwich
Apple, Cheddar and Sausage Maple Biscuits
Lastly, if you make this Turkey Cran Rye Sandwich recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
- 2 teaspoons good quality ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch dried oregano
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 slices Rye Bread, toasted
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce
- 1 pound sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices muenster cheese
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- ¼ cup alfalfa sprouts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the horseradish mayo. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- To assemble the sandwich, smear one side of the toasted rye bread with the horseradish mayo and the other slice with cranberry sauce. Lay slices of turkey on top of the cranberry sauced slice of bread. Then add the cheese, tomato and alfalfa sprouts. Top the sandwich with the horseradish mayo slice of bread, cut in half and serve.