A surprising combination, this Pepper Jelly Grilled Cheese is going to absolutely shock your tastebuds. People often ask “where do you get your recipe ideas from?”. Well, this one here was from my little sister. We were catching up on the phone and she said, “Sam, I made the best grilled cheese the other day, you have to try it. I put pepper jelly in it.” That was all it took! I grabbed a few different cheeses and some sliced bread and went to work on this classic with a twist.
The grocery list.
Only FIVE ingredients needed for this flavor-packed grilled cheese.
- fontina cheese — this cheese gets perfectly melty. It’s creamy and sharp in flavor.
- sharp cheddar cheese — sharp cheddar is king in our house. It’s bold in flavor and ideal for grilled cheese sandwiches. Something about pairing sharp cheddar with something sweet just works!
- 4 sliced sourdough bread — other bread options are endless; white, wheat, oat, etc. I would just stick with something simple in flavor so you’re not competing with flavors.
- 1/4 cup pepper jelly — sweet and a little spicy, I cannot get enough of this stuff when it comes to cheese and crackers and it totally has a place in this sandwich.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (or salted butter) — surprisingly, mayo is the perfect spread for tasting and grilling up a sandwich and brings extra richness to this grilled cheese.
A classic with a flavor twist.
Grill cheese is the ultimate meal for nostalgia. Growing up, it was two slices of white bread, one slice of orange American cheese (you know, the kind individually wrapped in thin plastic), and a heap of ketchup to dunk it in. That was the LIFE. That will always be the standard. Nowadays, the ingredients may be a little more sophisticated but I at the end of the day, I want crispy-toasted bread with melty cheese and something sweet to pair it altogether. That’s what you get with this combo. Crispy-toasted bread, melty salty cheese and a sweet and spicy jam. Flavors similar to what you’d find on a holiday cheeseboard.
Looking for more sweet & savory sandwich recipes?
Here are a couple to try:
Lastly, if you make this Pepper Jelly Grilled Cheese recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or griddle) over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, toss the two shredded cheeses together to mix.
- Evenly divide the cheese between two of the slices of bread. On the other two slices, evenly distribute the pepper jelly and smear to cover one side. Piece the sandwich together by pairing up on cheese and one jelly slice.
- To the outside, smear the top of the sandwiches with 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Place the sandwich into the preheated cast iron, mayo-side down. While the first side is toasting, smear the other side of the sandwich with the remaining mayonnaise.
- Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until golden and the cheese is melted. Remove from the cast iron skillet and rest for 2 minutes before cutting and serving.
Nutrition Information: Serves 2 / 747 cals / 42g F / 70g C / 24g P