- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 pound ButcherBox pork butt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 red onion quartered
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, rough chopped
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1/4 fresh mint, chopped and separated
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Set the pressure cooker to high sauté. Heat the olive oil until it shimmers.
- Salt the pork butt and add it to the heated pot. Sear on each side for 3-4 minutes to develop a crust.
- In a small bowl combine the spices (ground pepper - nutmeg), set aside.
- Once the pork has seared, sprinkle the spices over the pork, flipping in the pot to coat on all sides. Add the chicken stock, red onion, apricots, lemons and 2 tablespoons chopped mint.
- Place the pressure cook lid on the pot and ensure the valve is set to SEAL. Set the pressure cooker to high for 50 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker time has finished, let it naturally release pressure (aka, do nothing) for 20 minutes.
- Release the additional steam by turning the pressure nozzle to VENT.
- Remove the pork and place on a a large platter. Rest for 5 minutes before shredding with two forks.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Crisp the shredded pork in the cast iron for 3-5 minutes. Move to a platter and garnish with fresh mint.
- While the pork is crisping, combine the remaining chopped mint with the yogurt and orange juice and zest in a small bowl.
- Serve the crispy pork with a dollop of citrus yogurt.
You can also use this recipe for the slow cooker. Sear the pork in a cast iron skillet and place all ingredients into a slow cooker. Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low until the pork is fork tender. Crisp in cast iron as directed.