A simple chili consisting of ground beef, spices and my absolute favorite Athletic Brew Free Wave IPA beer on top of a good ole hot dog, these Free Wave Chili Dogs are a delicious savory treat, but beware, they’re messy! As we transition from summer to fall, you might not be able to let go of your favorite cookout treat: a mouthwatering hot dog fresh off the grill. Adding a scoop of piping hot chili to your dog makes this the perfect dish for when the weather starts getting a little chilly (chili for when it’s chilly)! This flavorful and non-alcoholic IPA is amazing for recipes like this one and for sipping on!
The grocery list.
- Olive oil – When cooking ground beef, you need a little bit of oil on your pan so the meat doesn’t stick and ruin your pan.
- Ground beef – The base of your Free Wave Chili! ButcherBox for the win!
- White onion – Adds texture and flavor.
- Chili powder – Adds a mild heat to your chili.
- Garlic powder – Garlic powder is a great flavor base for any savory recipe.
- Cayenne pepper – Cayenne pepper packs a punch, so there’s only a small amount in this recipe. If you want a spicier chili, add a little bit more. Be careful not to overdo it!
- Athletic Brew Free Wave IPA beer
- Hot dogs – There’s an age old debate over which is better: beef or pork hot dogs? Personally, I can’t taste a difference, but if you can, more power to you! For this recipe, get your preferred hot dog! I’m wondering if and when carrot hot dogs, a plant-based hot dog alternative, will enter this fight…
- Hot dog buns – You can’t go wrong with the classic King’s Hawaiian hot dog buns, but any soft and sweet hot dog bun will do!
First, you’ll cook the ground beef for your chili. Start by heating the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. You’ll know that your oil is heated when it shimmers. When your olive oil starts to shimmer and is heated, add the ground beef.
Cook your beef for 5-7 minutes, just until no pink remains. You don’t want to cook your beef for too long or it’ll be dry and tough. Having tender and juicy beef in your chili is part of what makes it so delicious! Just cook until no pink remains, breaking it into small bits.
Add the onions to your cast iron skillet and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Then, season your chili. To the beef, add the chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
Deglaze the pan with the Athletic Brew beer. Deglazing is adding liquid to a hot pan to allow all of the caramelized bits of ground beef and onion that are stuck to the bottom of the pan to release. That way, all of the yummy bits of beef will be in your chili instead of stuck to your pan!
After you add your beer, cook for 3-5 minutes until the liquid has reduced and remove it from the heat.
Cook the hot dogs to your desired doneness. I prefer to grill hot dogs, but you can boil them or cook them in a stovetop pan, whatever is easiest for you! Place a hot dog in the hot dog bun and top with Free Wave Beef Chili. This recipe is so tasty, just make sure to have plenty of napkins nearby as you enjoy your Free Wave Beef Chili Dogs!
Athletic Brewing Co. makes craft beers with all of the flavor and none of the booze! Of course, it’s ok to enjoy some wine or beer every once in a while, but the after effects can make you feel like you’re ruining a healthy routine, especially when drinking makes you break a streak of clean eating or sacrifice a good night’s sleep. Athletic Brewing Co. craft beers allow you to indulge in a delicious craft beer while maintaining your healthy habits!
No matter your reason, if you want to enjoy a delicious non-alcoholic craft beer, Athletic Brewing Co. is the way to go!
Looking for more Athletic Brew Co. recipes?
Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make this Free Wave Chili Dogs recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- Pour the olive oil into a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers add the ground beef. Cook for 5-7 minutes, breaking into small bits until no pink remains. Add the onions and cook for an additional 2 minutes. To the beef, add the chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with the Athletic Brew beer. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the liquid has reduced. Remove from the heat.
- Cook hot dogs to desired doneness (either grilled or boiled!). Place a hot dog in the hot dog bun and top with Free Wave Beef Chili.
Nutrition Information: Serves 6 / 550 cals / 34g F / 31g C / 28g P