Cerveza Atletica French Onion Ramen is a cozy bowl of comfort with deeply caramelized onions and Athletic Brew Cerveza Atletica Non-Alcoholic Beer. This dish has all the classic flavors of French Onion Soup with an updated twist for the modern 2021 taste. The next level update to this classic dish is the addition of ramen noodles. We’re removing the crunchy croutons and swapping the bread for stringy, slurpy rice ramen noodles. Picture yourself slurping down beefy, beer-soaked onions and warm ramen noodles. That’s a very particular way to spend an afternoon and I’m all for it!
The grocery list:
The ingredients for this Cerveza Atletica French Onion Ramen recipe is a combination of pantry stables and fresh ingredients. You’ll need a heavy-bottomed pot and a little patience. Time is all you’ll need to allow those onions to get perfectly browned.
- Salted butter — Salted butter is the only butter I keep in stock.
- All-purpose flour — The flour is in this recipe to help thicken the stock and can be swapped for a gluten-free alternative.
- Cerveza Atletica Athletic Brew — This refreshing Mexican Light Copper Lager is the perfect brew for summer. Cerveza has a light copper hue with an aroma and flavor of delicate bread crust and golden treacle. The flavor is balanced with light spicy and floral notes from the noble hop, German Hersbrucker.
- Dijon mustard — Tangy and sharp with a strong flavor and a little bit of spice. Dijon has a low level of acidity and it perfectly balances this rich and beefy broth.
- Beef broth — In this dish, beef is best as it adds to the richness and compliments the flavors. It can be substituted for chicken or vegetable broth as well if that’s all you have on hand.
- Bay leaves — The bay leaf adds complexity to the dish. A whole leaf is suggested because it needs to be removed before serving.
- Worcestershire sauce — A distinct sweet and savory tang flavor that brightens the dish.
- Lotus Foods ramen — Lotus Foods is my favorite brand for ramen noodles because of the quality and simplicity of the ingredients. Simply discard the seasoning packet and cook the ramen noodles in the broth.
- Yellow onions — Yellow onions are the ideal onion for French Onion Soup.
- Sweet onions– Sweet onions have extra sugar in them which make them great for caramelizing.
- Fresh thyme leaves — Fresh is best. If you don’t have fresh on hand, the general rule of thumb is to use 1/2 the directed quantity in dried.
- Parmesan/ Gruyere cheese– Either of these cheeses or a mix of the two are ideal for this dish. They are salty, cheesy and will melt perfectly into this cozy bowl.
- Fresh chives– Fresh herbs hold space in my fridge because nothing is better than a pop of freshness to balance a heavy bowl of food like this ramen. Fresh is always best.
All the cozy non of the boozy.
First, what’s better than a cozy meal after a long days work? Secondly, how about a crisp and refreshing beer after a long day and a grind at the gym? Nothing is better! Most importantly, you can have the best of both worlds and non of the booze in one dish. For us, and for many of our fitness-minded friends, beer comes with baggage. Athletic Brew Beer is non-alcoholic and therefore isn’t going to compromise recovery. Recovery is about a good night’s sleep and the alcohol in regular beer can leave you sluggish for the next day.
Tips for making ahead.
To clarify, this isn’t exactly the meal to start cooking at 7:05pm when everyone is hungry. The onions need TIME. You can’t rush them. In other words, you’ll end up with fajita fried onions all charred and burnt but also still slightly raw. If you need to make this ahead of time to prepare for a busy week, hit steps one through three. I suggest caramelizing the onions and simmering the broth and then STOP. Wait to drop the ramen noodles into the soup base until you are ready to serve. You’ll reheat the soup base on the stovetop and continue the steps for the perfect cozy meal.
Tips for storage.
Similar to above, the make-ahead and the storage are all about the noodles. The noodles, if left in the soup, will simply break down. The best advise for storage is to only drop enough noodles for that sitting into the soup. Likewise, the instructions serve four but if it’s just two of you eating, simply make enough noodles for that meal. Then, follow the above instructions for the following day’s meal.
Looking for more recipes with Athletic Brew Beer?
Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make this Cerveza Atletica French Onion Ramen recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- 3 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 12 oz Cerveza Atletica Athletic Brew
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 pucks Lotus Foods ramen
- 2 cups Parm/Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and butter and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally until the onions are deeply browned.
- Sprinkle the caramelized onions with flour, stir and cook for an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring the beer over the cooked onions. Stir, using a wooden spoon to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute. Add the mustard, broth, bay leaves and thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Add the uncooked ramen and simmer for 7-10 minutes or unit noodles are cooked through. Use a set of tongs to loosen up the noodles as the soup simmers. Add 1 cup of cheese and stir to incorporate. Lastly, add the Worcestershire sauce, stir and turn off the heat.
- Serve the ramen with additional cheese and topped with fresh chives.
Nutrition Information: Serves 4 / 660 cals / 27g F / 70g C / 31g P