Nothing says summer like backyard BBQs and ice cream cake. This Cherry & Chocolate Icebox Cake hits the spot on a sunny summer day. It’s easy to make, can be stored away in the freezer by the slice for easy enjoying and the flavors are BOMB. Cherry and chocolate ice cream has been made famous around these parts of New England (and likely the world) by two gentlemen by the names of Jerry & Ben and this icebox cake is the closest thing to their amazing creation we could get!
The grocery list.
Want to know a secret about icebox cakes? While it’s a riff off ice cream cakes, there is no actual ice cream in the recipe! Essentially, the ingredients and steps whip up a quick, no-churn ice cream base using heavy whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. One easy easy to a wildly delicious dessert.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided — The key here is HEAVY whipping cream. In order to mock ice cream you need all the fat!
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweetened condensed milk — Have you ever just stuck a spoon into this and wanted to eat it straight from the can? It’s silky and luscious and has its place in this recipe to bring the velvety smooth and the sweet to the “ice cream” layer.
- 1/2 chocolate bar, cut into thin shards — Whatever you have on hand and something to add fleck of chocolate throughout each bite.
- 1-2 sleeves honey graham crackers — Nothing more classic for summer than honey graham crackers. Use a few sleeves of crackers for this recipe and stash the others away for s’mores.
- 14 ounce bing cherries, chopped (juice reserved) — Now this ingredient is the STAR of this recipe. You could use frozen or fresh cherries but the juice for the drizzle on top is my favorite part of this and makes the cherry flavor sing!
- 1-2 sleeves chocolate graham crackers — Chocolate graham crackers can be hard to find, I’ve linked them here from amazon because I often have to jump from store to store in hopes of seeing this special ingredient on the shelves.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips — If you prefer dark chocolate, swap these semi-sweet morsels for dark chocolate.
First, you’ll start by making the whipped cream and condensed milk quick ice cream. Pour 2 1/3 cups of the heavy whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Set the mixer to high and beat the cream for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the can of sweetened condensed milk and beat for an additional minute to combine. Remove the bowl from the stand and gently fold the shards of chocolate into the cream.
Get as creative with these layers as you’d like! I found working in thirds with this recipe (and the size of my serving dish) worked best. Make a base layer with the honey graham crackers. Add a heap of the whipped cream and cherries. Top those ingredients with another layer of chocolate graham crackers and repeat!
This icebox cake is nothing but time. It’s so easy and simple to put together but it needs a few naps in the freezer to chill and set before it can be ready for the backyard BBQ. I suggest making this recipe the day before you wish to eat it. Thinking ahead can be a pain in the butt some times but I promise it’ll be the talk of the town when served and the time invested will be worth it.
My favorite part about this recipe is how it stores away in the freezer. After you cut the squares for serving, you’ll then individually wrap each leftover square in plastic wrap. Tuck those individually wrapped squares into a large freezer bag and zip it closed. When the sweet tooth cravings hit, simply take a single serving out fo the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes to slightly soften. Enjoy this simple sweet treat whenever the craving hits!
Looking for more sweet treats?
Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make this Cherry & Chocolate Icebox Cake recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- Line a square 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour 2 1/3 cups of heavy whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Set the mixer to high and beat the cream for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the can of sweetened condensed milk, beat for an additional minute to combine. Remove the bowl from the stand and gently fold the shards of chocolate into the cream.
- Create the base layer of the cake with the large rectangles and squares of honey graham crackers. Cover the first layer with 1/3 of the cream mixture. Top with 1/3 of the chopped cherries. For the next two layers, use the chocolate graham crackers.
- Layer the crackers, cream and cherries. After the last third of the cream and cherries have been laid down, create a final top layer with the honey graham crackers. Chill in the freezer for 2 hours.
- While the cake chills, pour the cherry juice into a small saucepan. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until slightly reduced and thick. Set aside to slightly cool.
- After two hours, remove the cake from the freezer. In a microwave safe dish heat the remaining 2/3 cups of heavy whipping cream in 20 second intervals until hot, about 1 1/2 minutes total. Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips to the hot bowl and let them sit for 2 minutes. Begin to mix the chocolate and cream together until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate over the icebox cake, reserving 1/4 cup to drizzle on top.
- Drizzle the top of the cake with the reduced cherry juice and remaining chocolate. Chill in the freezer for an additional 2 hours to set.
- When ready to serve, pull the cake from the freezer 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutritional Information: serves 12 / 618 cals / 39F / 65C / 7P