It’s winter, AKA, butternut squash season! Butternut Squash Salad with Bacon Lime Vinaigrette is the perfect way to use this delicious seasonal veggie and a great hearty lunch. This recipe can be made vegan simply by leaving out one ingredient, so it’s perfect for serving to large groups of people with a variety of diets.
The grocery list.
- Thick cut bacon – I like the contrast between the textures of the crunchy thick cut bacon and tender butternut squash in this salad.
- Butternut squash – Peel and cube the butternut squash before roasting it.
- Olive oil – To roast your butternut squash.
- Kosher salt – Just a little bit of salt.
- Balsamic vinegar – Balsamic vinegar is known for its powerful flavor, but it can sometimes overpower a dish. 2 tablespoons is the perfect amount for this recipe!
- Lime juice – Store-bought lime juice works well in this recipe, but feel free to use fresh-squeezed lime juice instead. Fresh is usually best!
- Green onion – Green onion adds such an amazing fresh crunch to a dish.
- Red pepper flakes – For anyone that likes just a touch of spice, red pepper flakes are the perfect seasoning for you!
- Black pepper – Just a little bit of black pepper adds a ton of flavor.
- Jalapeño – Dice up your jalapeño really well so its spice is evenly distributed throughout the Butternut Squash Salad.
- Flaky salt – To garnish your salad.
Start by preheating the oven to 400°F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. A rimmed baking sheet is necessary to prevent bacon grease from dripping inside your oven. Aluminum foil will make your clean up a little bit easier, since bacon grease is a pain to wash off, but you don’t have to use it! Lay the thick cut bacon on the baking sheet, leaving a little bit of space between each piece. Bake it for 15-20 minutes until crisp. The timing depends on the thickness of each slice, but cook it to your preferred crispiness. Cool the bacon for 5 minutes, then roughly chop it and set aside.
Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. While the oven heats up slightly, peel and chop the butternut squash. On a baking sheet, toss the chopped butternut squash with just 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and ½ teaspoon of the kosher salt. Roast the butternut squash for 15 minutes. Toss it and roast for an additional 10 minutes until the butternut squash is fork tender and lightly browned.
While the butternut squash is roasting in the oven, mix together the bacon lime vinaigrette. Add half the chopped bacon to a medium bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons on olive oil, th ½ teaspoon of remaining salt, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, green onion, red pepper flakes, black pepper and diced jalapeño.
Remove the butternut squash from the oven. Allow it to cool for 3 minutes before handling so you don’t burn yourself. Mix the salad together in a serving bowl. Transfer the squash to a serving bowl. Dress the squash with the bacon lime vinaigrette and top with additional chopped bacon, green onions and a pinch of flaky salt for serving.
Make it vegan.
To make a vegan or vegetarian version of this Butternut Squash Salad with Bacon Lime Vinaigrette, you only need to omit one ingredient! Can you guess what it is? The bacon, duh! This salad is just as delicious without bacon as a topping. If you’re hosting or attending an event where guests have a variety of diets, consider bringing this dish. You can include bacon in a dish separate from the salad so guests can add it themselves if they wish to do so.
Looking for more hearty salad recipes?
Lastly, if you make this Butternut Squash Salad with Bacon Lime Vinaigrette recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- ½ pound thick cut bacon
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup green onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Flaky salt for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay the bacon on the sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp (timing depends on the thickness of each slice). Cool for 5 minutes then roughly chop and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. On a baking sheet, toss the butternut squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and ½ teaspoon of the kosher salt. Roast for 15 minutes. Toss and roast for an additional 10 minutes until the butternut squash is fork tender and lightly browned.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, mix the bacon lime vinaigrette. Add half the chopped bacon to a medium bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of remaining salt, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, green onion, red pepper flakes, pepper and jalapenos.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven, cool for 3 minutes before handling. Move the squash to a serving bowl, dress with the bacon lime vinaigrette and top with additional bacon and green onions and a pinch of flaky salt for serving.