Halloween is supposed to be scary but these Mummy Rice Cereal Treats are SO CUTE!! I’ve been seeing these cute creations all over the web and normally, I don’t follow trends but this time I couldn’t help myself! A classic recipe with a few drizzles of white chocolate and some edible candy eyes and you have yourself a holiday treat. Sweet, sticky and spooky!
The grocery list.
- Butter – So the marshmallows don’t stick to the pan as they melt.
- Marshmallows – Always use fresh marshmallows in your rice cereal treats. Stale marshmallows will give you stale-tasting treats.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla adds a delicious flavor to rice cereal treats.
- Puffed rice cereal – Make sure you use plain puffed rice cereal and not anything sweetened or flavored. The marshmallows will add plenty of sweetness.
- White chocolate (bar or melts) – To make mummy wraps on your rice cereal treats!
- Coconut oil – You’ll melt the white chocolate with coconut oil, which will allow the chocolate to harden faster and have the texture of a chocolate shell.
- Candy eyes – Spooky and delicious!
To start, line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Make sure the dish has sides. This recipe doesn’t require any baking, but it is super sticky so the parchment paper will prevent your treat from getting stuck to the pan. Make sure the parchment is sticking out of the sides of the pan so you can use it to lift the treats out of the pan.
In a very large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows. Stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted, about 3 minutes. Make sure the stove burner is on medium heat because the marshmallows can burn relatively easily.
Remove the marshmallows from the heat and immediately stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Lastly, fold in the puffed rice cereal and coat it completely with the marshmallow mixture.
Transfer your cereal and marshmallow mixture to the parchment-lined baking dish. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, lightly greased, gently spread the mixture to fit the pan. You could also use a rubber spatula or a spoon.
Allow the Mummy Rice Cereal Treats to set for at least 1 hour at room temperature.
Using the parchment paper, lift the rice treats as a while out of the pan. Cut the marshmallow treats into rectangles. Now, you’re going to turn them into mummies!
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the white chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the chocolate is fully melted. If you don’t have a microwave, melt the white chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan on the stove on low heat, stirring as it melts. Melting chocolate with coconut oil will make the chocolate harden faster and in a thicker layer onto the rice cereal treats.
Pour the melted white chocolate into a ziploc bag, seal and snip a small bit off the corner of the bag so it acts like a piping bag. Dot the backs of each candy eye with the melted white chocolate and stick two eyes to each rice cereal treat. Drizzle the white chocolate over the rice cereal treat. Start at the top and pass back and forth in stripes to mimic the wraps of a mummy. Allow the treats to cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
Store leftover treats for up to 3 days covered and at room temperature. To store them, lay the treats in layers between sheets of parchment or wax paper in a container.
Looking for more sweet treats?
Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make this Mummy Rice Cereal Treats recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- 6 ounces white chocolate (bar or melts)
- 2-4 tablespoons coconut oil
- candy eyes
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a very large pot. Once melted, add the marshmallows. Stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, then immediately stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Lastly, fold in the cereal. Mix well, making sure each piece of cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, gently spread the mixture to fit the pan. Lightly grease the back of the cup if needed and gently press the mixture into the pan.
- Allow the treats to set for at least 1 hour at room temperature.
- Lift the riced treats as a whole out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into rectangles.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the white chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring between each until fully melted.
- Pour the melted white chocolate into a ziplock bag, seal and snip a small bit off the corner. Dot the backs of each candy eye with the melted white chocolate and stick to the riced cereal treat. Drizzle the white chocolate over the rice cereal treat at the top, passing back and forth to mimic the wraps of a mummy. Allow the treats to cool for at least 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Cover and store leftover treats at room temperature for up to 3 days. To store, lay the treats in layers between sheets of parchment or wax paper.