These flavors are going to blow your mind. This Smoke & Fire Toast with Soft Boiled Eggs and Basil is a seemingly odd combination but I wouldn’t lead you down a trail of crazy flavors if I wasn’t confident it worked. This Fix & Fogg Smoke & Fire Peanut butter is unlike anything I’ve ever tasted. It’s smooth and super crunchy all at the same time with a memorable flavor. Each bite, the peanut butter starts with a smoky flavor and lingers on your tongue with a spice. With the bold flavors in the peanut butter, the delicate flavor of the basil and soft boiled egg yolk balances every bite. It’s going to be your new favorite savory breakfast! Add some spice to your morning, the peanut butter, made with New Mexico hatch chile, cayenne and smoked paprika, it a memorable treat. WOW!! Listen, I understand your possible reservations about pairing peanut butter with eggs and basil, but this Smoke & Fire peanut butter isn’t like anything you’ve had before.
The grocery list.
- Sourdough bread – Bread is the vessel for your Smoke & Fire Peanut Butter Toast, so to make it the most delish breakfast pick your favorite loaf! If you’re still in your quarantine-era sourdough kick, make your own!
- Fix & Fogg Smoke & Fire Peanut Butter – Fix & Fogg has a variety of Keto and Vegan-friendly peanut butters of all different fun flavors. This spicy Smoke & Fire peanut butter contains New Mexico hatch chile, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and is a must try!
- Soft boiled eggs – I cut mine in quarters so I can enjoy the slightly runny yolk on my toast.
- Fresh basil – Not only does topping your Smoke & Fire Peanut Butter Toast with fresh basil make your breakfast look super fancy, the flavor is unmatched when paired with this spicy PB!
Toast your sourdough bread to your desired toastiness (is that a word?). While your bread is toasting, make your soft boiled eggs.
Heat water in a medium pan over high heat to a boil. Make sure the water level in the pan is high enough to fully submerge the eggs. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down to medium so it maintains a gentle boil. Place your eggs in the pan. It will take about 7 minutes for your eggs to become soft boiled.
After the 7 minutes, run your boiled eggs under cold water before peeling them.
Assemble your Smoke & Fire Peanut Butter Toast! Smear each slice of toasted sourdough with Smoke & Fire Peanut Butter. Top the toast with quartered soft boiled eggs and fresh basil.
The flavor inspiration.
We don’t order takeout very often but if we do, it’s from a small dive Vietnamese restaurant in town. Our order is the same every time; two number 2’s and two number 16’s with extra meat. The number 2 is a rice paper summer roll with vermicelli noodles, pork and shrimp served with a peanut dipping sauce and the number 16 is rare beef pho. One night, while ordering this takeout, our favorite place had already closed and we opted to try another restaurant a little closer to home. We were a little disappointed in what we got. The order was the same but the flavors were all off. The most different was the peanut dipping sauce for the summer rolls. Instead of suffering through the disappointing dinner choice, I dug into the pantry and grabbed out the Smoke & Fire peanut butter to replace it.
While this PB is not a Vietnamese peanut dipping sauce, it had all the flavors I was missing from our go-to spot. Strong peanut butter flavor and a subtle spice that lingers on the back of your tongue. When I enjoy a bowl of pho, I load it up with Thai basil leaves, bean sprouts, squeezes of lime and chili oil. After I finished the summer roll appetizer, I started to dig into my bowl of pho. With the smoke & fire peanut butter lingering on my tongue and a big mouthful of basil and noodles, I knew this flavor combo would be a HIT.
Looking for more toast recipes?
Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make this Smoke & Fire Toast with Soft Boiled Eggs and Basil recipe, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from ya’ll and do my best to respond to every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of your dayyyummm good recreations is my favorite!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
- 8 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 8 tablespoons Fix & Fogg Smoke & Fire Peanut Butter
- 8 soft boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- Smear each slice of toasted bread with smoke & fire peanut butter.
- Top the toast with quartered soft boiled eggs and sprinkle with fresh basil.
**For the perfect soft boiled egg, bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the eggs gently into the pot and boil for 6-8 minutes depending on preference. Remove the eggs from the boiling water and immediately place in a bowl of ice water to sit for 5 minutes. Remove from the ice water and peel the shell from the eggs.