- 6 bell peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 3 slices think cut bacon, cubed
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 pint baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo + sauce
- 3/4 cup strained tomatoes
- 1 can green chilies
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 3 slices sharp cheddar cheese, quartered
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425. Place the peppers in a glass baking dish and pre-bake for 20-25 minutes. While the peppers pre-bake, prepare the filling.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, cook the cubed bacon for 5-7 minutes until crispy. Add the ground turkey to the skillet once the bacon has cooked. Break up the turkey and then resist the urge to push it around and allow it to cook and form a crust for 5-7 minutes. When almost no pink remains, start breaking the turkey up into smaller bits.
- Add the small dices of mushrooms, chipotles in adobo and sauce, strained tomatoes and green chillies. Cook down for an additional 5 minutes. Add green onions, stir and turn off heat.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, fill each pepper with 5 oz of filling. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Set oven to HI broil. Add cheese to the top of each pepper and broil for 2-3 minutes until melted. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
** Not pictured but it’s too good to keep to myself. I served this with a chipotle crema. Mix 1 cup greek yogurt + 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo and sauce.